Tuesday, September 17, 2013

FIFA: Enemy Unknown or XCOM: The Swoodilypoopers Strike Back!

John Green, one of my favorite authors, has a peculiar project where he films himself playing the soccer videogame FIFA 11. The youtube video shows what's happening on the virtual field, and while he's playing he narrates the lives and backstories of all of the players. It is surprisingly fun to watch--I have seen 237 episodes of it to date.

The team, the Swindon Town Swoodilypoopers has gone through a large number of players during its seven season history, and so when I started playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown recently I knew I had a large cast of characters to work with. 

XCOM is a turn-based strategy game in which you control a squad of soldiers protecting the earth from an alien invasion force. It is a brutal game, where completing a mission with only one dead soldier is considered "Good", and I am starting to run out of players! However, for the most part I am committed to taking things as they come--although it is possible to reload a mission that's gone poorly, I generally avoid that. 

There have been a couple times when I let Bald John Green or his husband, Other John Green (né Bennett) get killed, and that's not the kind of story that I'm interested in hearing, so I reloaded the game without a pang of guilt. I would probably reload for Merrick Maric, at this point, as she's become one of the central characters for these alternate universe Swoodilypoopers.





No comments:

Post a Comment